FaHCSIA's agency plan
The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) is an agency subject to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) and is required to comply with the Information Publication Scheme (IPS) requirements. This agency plan describes how FaHCSIA proposes to do this, as required by s 8(1) of the FOI Act.
Full details: FaHCSIA's agency plan
Who we are
- FaHCSIA's Organisational Chart
- Statutory appointments
Details of appointments of officers of the agency that are made under Acts
- Aboriginal Land Commissioner is appointed under the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976.
- Director of the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency is appointed under the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999.
- The General Manager and the Directors of the Board of Indigenous Business Australia are appointed under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005.
- The General Manager and the Directors of the Board of Indigenous Land Corporation are appointed under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005.
- Coordinator-General of Remote Indigenous Services of the Office of the Coordinator-General of Remote Indigenous Services are appointed under the Coordinator-General for Remote Indigenous Services Act 2009.
- Registrar of Indigenous Corporations of the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations is appointed under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
- Executive Director of the Office of Township Leasing is appointed under Aboriginals Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976.
- Members of the Social Security Appeals Tribunal are appointed under the Social Security (Administration) Act 1999.
- The General Manager of the Torres Strait Regional Authority is appointed under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act 2005.
What we do
- Functions, areas of responsibility and decision making powers of FaHCSIA
The broad functions of the Department are described below.
The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) has a key role in the delivery of the Australian Government's social policy agenda.
FaHCSIA seeks to assist people in seven core areas:
- Community Capability and the Vulnerable
- Disability and Carers
A summary of the functions of the Department's business groups can be found in FaHCSIA's Annual Report.
Portfolio legislation is listed in the Administrative Arrangements Order (AAOs) and are set out in Appendix I to the Annual Report. The AAOs can also be found on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C) website.
- Annual reports
The Annual Report provides strategic information about the department
Routinely Requested Information
- From 1 May 2011, FaHCSIA will publish a Disclosure log of information to which FaHCSIA has provided access under the FOI Act
- Information held by FaHCSIA that is routinely provided to the Parliament in response to requests and orders from the Parliament: Departmental File Index and Advertising and market research and Departmental Contract Listing
- FaHCSIA submissions - There are no consultations currently being undertaken by FaHCSIA.
Telephone: (02) 6146 3177