The Office for Women promotes women's human rights and gender equality at international forums.
Working with other Departments and Agencies, we play a key role in developing and coordinating the Australian Government’s policy advice on international matters affecting women.
- Australia is a signatory to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), and
- is a party to the Optional Protocol to CEDAW.
- Australia also participates in the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), and
- conducts periodical reviews of the Beijing Platform for Action.
Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation
- As a Commonwealth member country, Australia contributes to the Commonwealth Plan of Action for Gender Equality 2005-2015, and
- participates in the Women’s Affairs Minister’s Meetings (WAMMs)
- International priorities for women
An overview of Australia’s international engagement on women’s rights and gender equality.