The Australian Government Office for Women (OfW) is part of the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA).
The Minister for the Status of Women is the Hon Julie Collins MP.
The three priority areas for OfW are:
- Reducing violence against women
- Increasing women’s economic security
- Ensuring women’s equal place in society
OfW consults across government and with a wide range of non-Government organisations to address these priorities and deliver better outcomes for women.
The role of the OfW is to:
- influence policy, Cabinet and Budget decision-making to ensure women's interests are considered
- provide high level advice to the Minister for the Status of Women
- provide national leadership in reducing violence, in particular the implementation of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women
- advise on legislative issues relating to women
- provide the principal focus on consultation between the women’s sector and Government and
- represent Government at national and international forums on women’s issues, such as the United Nations.
Information on Whole of Australian Government influence work performed by the Office for Women
The Office conducts inter-government liaison with State, Territory and New Zealand governments through the COAG Select Council on Women’s Issues.