The Pension Review report was completed by Dr Jeff Harmer in February 2009. The Government’s Secure and Sustainable Pensions package, which was developed with the assistance of Dr Harmer’s report, was announced in the 2009-10 Budget
On 15 May 2008, the Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, the Hon. Jenny Macklin, MP, announced that Dr Jeff Harmer, the Secretary of her Department, would lead a review into measures to strengthen the financial security of seniors, carers, and people with disability. The review included the Age Pension, Carer Payment and Disability Support Pension.
The Minister asked Dr Harmer to report to the Government on the outcomes of the Pension Review by 28 February 2009. The terms of reference directed the review to consider:
- the appropriate levels of income support and allowances, including the base rate of the pension, with reference to the stated purpose of the payment
- the frequency of payments, including the efficacy of lump sum versus ongoing support
- the structure and payment of concessions or other entitlements that would improve the financial circumstances and security of seniors, carers and people with disability.
The Pension Review was undertaken in the context of the broader inquiry into Australia's Future Tax System (AFTS), announced by the Treasurer, the Hon. Wayne Swan, MP, on 13 May 2008. The AFTS inquiry was a comprehensive review of Australia's tax system to create a tax structure that positions Australia to deal with the demographic, social, economic and environmental challenges of the 21st century and enhance Australia's economic and social outcomes.
The final AFTS report can be found at www.futuretax.gov.au.
[ top ]
If you would like to find out how the changes in the 2009-10 Budget impact on your payment please contact Centrelink, who will be able to give you individual advice. For Age Pension inquiries call 13 23 00 and for Disability Support Pension and Carer Payment inquiries call 13 27 17.
- Release of Pension Review Report and Retirement Incomes Report
- $4.8 Billion down payment to help pensioners, seniors, and carers
- People with disability big winners from Economic Security Strategy
- Pension Review Background Paper
- Reference Group for Pension Review