The Toolkit for Indigenous Service Provision has been designed to help increase the capacity of staff and organisations funded by the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) to provide a high standard of service delivery.
FaHCSIA is committed to helping its service providers to ensure that Indigenous Australians have the same level of access to services and facilities as the rest of the community.
The Toolkit consolidates information and resources into a single package that any of FaHCSIA’s service providers can use to review their current practices; build their knowledge and relationships; and develop, implement and evaluate strategies.
Research and consultation with service providers identified a need for consistent and practical information and resources to help organisations to implement 'best practice' strategies in service design and delivery. The Toolkit provides information and suggestions about how organisations can:
- Reflect on their organisation’s current position
- Learn more about Indigenous history and culture and the potential barriers Indigenous people may experience accessing their service
- Engage Indigenous people, organisations and expertise at all levels of their organisation
- Plan strategies to address a range of symbolic, operational, administrative and physical changes, and
- Implement strategies to create and sustain changes in their organisation to enhance the social inclusiveness of their services.