The states/territories have agreed to a number of reforms as a condition of receiving funds under this Initiative. These reforms include:
- Integration of public and community housing waiting lists.
- Better social and economic participation for social housing tenants by locating housing closer to transport, services and employment opportunities.
- Implementation of support arrangements to assist social housing tenants to transition from social housing arrangements to affordable private rental and home ownership as their circumstances change.
- Reducing concentrations of disadvantage through appropriate redevelopment to create mixed communities that improve social inclusion.
- Introduction of a national regulatory and registration system for not-for-profit housing providers to enhance the sector's capacity to operate across jurisdictions.
- Increased transparency through the establishment of consistent and comparable accounting and reporting standards across jurisdictions that allow clear and objective assessments of performance that meet public accountability requirements.
- Social housing providers to be subject to independent prudential supervision to protect public investment in the sector.
- Improved tenancy management and maintenance benchmarks for social housing.
- Improved efficiency of social housing including better matching of tenants with appropriate dwelling types and the introduction of rent-setting policies that reflect the type of dwellings occupied by tenants.
- Introducing contestability in the allocation of funds to encourage a range of new providers and create diversification in the not-for-profit sector to enhance the ability of providers to offer housing options to a broader range of client types.
- Leveraging of government capital investment to enhance the provision of social housing.
- Better use of government owned land to provide more affordable housing opportunities for low income earners.
- Improved procurement practices that promote competition between proponents and provide participation opportunities for small and medium enterprises.
- Measures to enhance the capacity of the not-for-profit sector.
Social Housing Initiative Information