The Social Housing Initiative will stimulate the building and construction industry, both through funding additional dwellings and increasing expenditure on repairs and maintenance. This will help stimulate businesses which supply construction materials and help to retain jobs in the industry.
The $5.638 billion Social Housing Initiative is the largest commitment by any Government in Australia to social housing and is a key component of Nation Building- Economic Stimulus Plan.
More than 19,300 new social housing dwellings will be built under the Initiative with the assistance of the not-for-profit sector. Around 80,000 dwellings have already benefited from the repairs and maintenance element of the Initiative.
What has the Initiative achieved so far?
- The Social Housing Initiative comprises two elements. Element one provides funding for new construction while element two provided funding to support the repair of existing social housing dwellings.
- Element one is currently under way. Information about the progress of element one construction can be found by visiting the Economic Stimulus Plan website.
- All work for element two, repairs and maintenance is now complete.
- Funding allocation
- Changes to social housing in states and territories
- Stories about work being done - repairs, maintenance and construction
Who will benefit from the new dwellings and repairs and maintenance work?
- Disadvantaged Australians, particularly those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- Current tenants benefitted from upgrades to their social housing.
What type of social housing is being built?
- Detached dwellings/ apartments/ townhouses
- States and territory governments have advised that the majority of dwellings proposed under Stage 2 will achieve a six star energy efficiency rating
- It is expected that the majority of all new dwellings funded under Stage 2 will incorporate six minimum universal design elements to make properties more accessible to people who are ageing or live with disability
- Six star energy efficiency rating and universal design elements
Where is the new housing being built?
- The new dwellings are located in major cities, inner and outer regional areas and remote and very remote areas across Australia.
- The locations have been identified by states and territories as meeting high priority needs.
- The Economic Stimulus Plan website shows the locations of all the new social housing.
What is happening in each State and Territory?
- South Australia
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- Western Australia
- Australian Capital Territory