The Australian Government provided $10 million over four years in the 2005-06 Budget to fund the National Homelessness Strategy (NHS). Since its inception in 1999, the NHS has provided leadership in developing approaches for the prevention and reduction of homelessness and broken new ground in integrated service delivery to people who are vulnerable to homelessness.
The NHS aims to:
- Provide a strategic framework that will improve collaboration and linkages between existing programmes and services, to improve outcomes for clients and reduce the incidence of homelessness;
- Identify best practice models, which can be promoted and replicated, that will enhance existing homelessness policies and programmes;
- Build the capacity of the community sector to improve linkages and networks; and
- Raise awareness of the issue of homelessness throughout all areas and levels of government and in the community.
The NHS research projects will continue to help governments and services build new and innovative ways to help people who are vulnerable to homelessness through funding initiatives which meet the aims of the Strategy.
Under the National Homelessness Strategy, two streams of funding have been made available:
Demonstration project funding provides opportunities to trial and document new and innovative approaches that prevent, reduce or respond to homelessness. This can be achieved by:
- developing integrated prevention and early intervention models to address homelessness;
- helping to improve coordination, cross programme and service linkages; and
- promoting approaches that address the wide range of interacting issues impacting on homelessness.
Please note Expressions of Interest for Demonstration Project funding are currently closed.
Communication activities aim to disseminate knowledge about homelessness and raise awareness of best practice models that prevent and respond to homelessness. As part of the Communication Strategy, funding is available to eligible organisations for products and activities which contribute to this aim. Communication activity funding provides funding for small scale, one off initiatives which share knowledge, raise awareness and/or promote best practice models/principles for preventing and/or responding to homelessness.
Please note Expressions of Interest for Communication Activity funding are currently closed.
Under the 2005-2007 round of NHS funding, eight (8) Demonstration Projects and seven (7) Communication Activities received funding.
Under the 2007-2009 round of NHS funding, seven (7) Demonstration Projects and thirteen (13) Communication Activities received funding.
Demonstration Projects and Communication Activities funded under the NHS between 2005-2009.
For more information on homelessness, please refer to the Homelessness Clearinghouse website.