If school expenses are weighing you down, the Schoolkids Bonus can help lighten the load. It replaces the old Education Tax Refund and it is simple: there’s no need to collect receipts or claim it through your tax.
Each year, eligible families and students will receive:
- $410 a year for each primary student ($205 paid in January and $205 paid in July)
- $820 a year for each secondary student ($410 paid in January and $410 paid in July).
The first Schoolkids Bonus instalment of $205 for each primary student and $410 for each secondary student has been paid to eligible families to help to help lighten the load of back-to-school expenses. If you haven't received the payment by 31 January, but think you're eligible, contact Centrelink to discuss your personal circumstances.To avoid the phone queues, check your eligibility here.
Please note that families who receive their Family Tax Benefit as a lump sum will receive their Schoolkids Bonus payment after their Family Tax Benefit claim is assessed. If preferred, families can change from a lump sum to fortnightly payment and receive the Schoolkids Bonus before the school year starts. This can be done through Centrelink Online Services.
Schoolkids Bonus resources
Frequently asked questions
- About the Schoolkids Bonus
- Education information
- Eligibility information
- About the previous Education Tax Refund
- Other FAQs
- 21/02/13 Supporting families in North-East Adelaide
- 08/02/13 Supporting families in Reid
- 30/01/13 Helping Newcastle families get back to school with the Schoolkids Bonus
- 22/01/13 Schoolkids Bonus helping families with back to school costs
- 09/01/13 Schoolkids Bonus cash arrives from today
- 10/12/12 Schoolkids Bonus only weeks away
- 07/11/12 Families need to update details to get the Schoolkids Bonus in January
- 19/06/12 Payments for families with schoolkids start tomorrow
- 10/05/12 A win for families as Schoolkids Bonus passes the Parliament
- 08/05/12 Schoolkids Bonus
- 06/05/12 Schoolkids Bonus