The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs has developed the following information about planning for the future of a family member with disability:
- two booklets to assist families planning for the future of a family member with disability
- Speakers Kit for organisations and community groups wishing to make information presentations on future planning for families of people with severe disability.
The Planning for the future: People with disability booklet includes:
- guidance on the things to consider when planning for the future
- options available to families when planning for the future
- information about how to set up a trust
- information about how to obtain financial and legal advice
- useful contacts in each state/territory.
The Special Disability Trusts: Getting things sorted booklet includes information on:
- planning for the future, taking account of disability issues generally
- how families can use trusts to provide for family members with disability
- the availability of concessions from social security and veterans' entitlement means tests for eligible family members establishing a Special Disability Trust.
Both booklets are available in English and several other languages.
The Department has also developed a Speakers Kit for organisations and community groups wishing to make information presentations on future planning for families of people with severe disability.
The Speakers Kit contains a 'Special Disability Trusts' CD-ROM, containing:
- a Special Disability Trusts PowerPoint presentation
- Special Disability Trusts: Getting things sorted booklet
- Planning for the Future: People with disability booklet
- a copy of the legislative instrument (Guidelines for Special Disability Trusts), which is made under Part 3.18A of the Social Security Act 1991 and includes more detailed information on the allowable trust expenses for care and accommodation.
Speakers Kits can be ordered by phoning 1800 050 009 (a free call except from mobile or pay phones) and quoting the product number FACSIA 0435.